Very Ripe Bananas in the Fruit BowlPosted: September 26, 2009
……equals banana bread of course!
Vegan Banana Bread with Dark Chocolate Chunks
This entirely delicious, lower-fat, vegan recipe comes atcha from veganomicon with a few substitutions.
- 2 bananas, all mashed up
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup agave nectar
- 2 tbsp molasses — oil up the spoon before adding, much easier
- 2 cups spelt flour
- 3/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 8 squares of dark chocolate, broken into small chunks (optional)
- 1/3 cup walnuts, chopped (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350F and grease a small loaf tin.
- Whisk together the wet ingredients, then sieve in the dry ingredients.
- Using a wooden spoon, combine the wet and dry to form a dough.
- Fold in the chocolate pieces or walnuts, if using.
- Pour the batter into the loaf tin, and bake for 45-50 minutes.
Perfect for a fall weekend indoors. Don’t get me wrong, the sun is shining and the birds are chirping, but I’m currently doing battle on my cold which was graciously handed to me by Phil a few days ago. Baking helps.
Lesson learned: Patience. Probably the hardest lesson for me to learn in the kitchen. Sometimes you just want to dig in immediately upon removing the banana bread from the tin.