Un-Boring PorridgePosted: October 2, 2009
I mentioned in my last post about my summer breakfast — muesli and berries and goat yogurt. Well this week, the weather has certainly announced loud and clear that autumn is here, so I went along with it and changed my morning routine a smidge. Yes, get excited for PORRIDGE aka OATMEAL!
Much like my old feelings towards curry, I was never a porridge fan until recently. Again with the sloppy mess and weird consistency. But when I read on practically every food / health blog about the myriad of ways to enjoy your morning porridge, I gave it another shot. kath in particular changed my opinion quickly with her tribute to oatmeal. Just look at all of the ways you can make it interesting!
My breakfast this morning is pictured above (minus a juicy orange cut into wedges).
- 1/3 cup porridge oats
- 2/3 cup water (or 1/3 cup water and 1/3 cup milk)
- 1/2 mashed banana
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 1 tbsp almond butter
- 1 tbsp cherry fruit spread
- Put the oats, water, milk (if using), and banana into a small pot and heat up on the stove. Stir until desired consistency.
- Pour into a bowl and add your favorite toppings.
- Eat and feel full all morning!
The almond butter and fruit spread combo has been my fave overall, but I also love simple coconut sugar and berries, or apples and cinnamon, or coconut and cacao nibs, or or or or…….
This all makes for a very UN-boring breakfast!