Veggie CookiesPosted: November 20, 2009
Well this marks the first time I’ve officially cooked a recipe I’ve found on a fellow blogger’s site. Get excited!
Oh and yes I said veggie cookies. Sweet potatoes are veggies, right? Only yesterday, I saw this recipe for sweet potato oatmeal raisin cookies on Tina’s carrots ‘n’ cake blog. And it couldn’t have been more perfect timing. We had one lonely sweet potato that’s been sitting on our kitchen counter for a week or so with nothing to do, and I wanted to bake something sweet for my Momma’s arrival!
Sweet Potato Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
I got really excited after reading Tina’s post because it is an all-vegan recipe without even trying to be. That’s how awesome vegan baking is. It took about 15 minutes for me to properly cook my sweet potato in the microwave first, and I made a few changes to the original recipe.
- agave nectar instead of brown sugar
- I also added a drop of vanilla essence to the mix
- gluten-free flour instead of regular
- baking time was a lot longer for my little gas oven to get the desired consistency — about 30 minutes or so
- and since I didn’t have a bag of raisins, I picked all the raisins and dried cranberries and blueberries out of a trail mix I had in the cupboard
The result was still decadently sweet. I will definitely be making these again. Thanks for posting that recipe, tina!