spicy spaghettiPosted: December 12, 2009
after a week making mince pies, almond brittle, soup, and roasted squash, i wanted to do something very quick and easy for dinner last night.
and what could be easier than spaghetti?
i don’t think i’ve had proper spaghetti with tomato sauce in ages. probably because i didn’t think pasta was something i could eat. but after discovering the magic of spelt pasta, i knew i could find a spaghetti made from this wonderful grain. with a couple of special additions like capers and marinated olives, and of course my favourite, RED CHILI, dinner was served.
(and not pictured: our side salads, comprised of baby leaves, a chopped up fig, half an avocado and some plum tomatoes. YUM.)
spicy olive and tomato spelt spaghetti
adapted from the 101 meals for two cookbook
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red chili, chopped (leave in seeds if you like it SPICY)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 small garlic clove, chopped
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes (although, don’t use a tin apparently! thanks to my friend tom for that article!)
- 250g/9oz spelt spaghetti
- handful of olives in brine or oil, drained
- 1-2 tbsp capers, drained
- small bunch of fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- heat the oil in a large frying pan and fry the onion for 5 minutes or until softened. add the chili and garlic, and cook for another minute. tip in the tomatoes and leave to bubble for 5 minutes until the mixture starts to thicken up.
- meanwhile, cook the spaghetti according to the pack instructions.
- stir the olives, capers, and half the parsley into the sauce, then fold through the cooked and drained spaghetti. scatter with the rest of the parsley to serve.
lesson learned: PIT YOUR OLIVES BEFORE YOU PUT THEM IN A SPAGHETTI SAUCE. idiot.
on a random note, i was reading one of my fave blogs, the fitnessista, this morning and loved the end of this post which discusses ayurvedic doshas. if you go to the yoga journal website, you can take a short quiz and discover which dosha you have and which foods and yoga postures are best for you. i love stuff like this!