pasta comboPosted: January 14, 2010
greetings from a melting london!
yesterday we had 2-3 inches of snow on the ground. today? nothing! well, not NOTHING, but not MUCH. i feel bad for the little girls in my building who spent an hour last night building the perfect snowman. today he’s nothing but a pile of slush with a scarf and hat and carrot in there somewhere.
but i am very happy today because, even though my birthday was exactly one week ago, my uber-awesome and super-sweet friend suzanne bought me the most amazing gift:
that’s right, y’all. it’s a red rotary phone that isn’t rotary – and it’s beautiful. i am slightly annoyed at my flat, though… there is only ONE phone jack in the whole place!! unless i am missing something. looks like the cordless will have to go!
anyway, on with last night’s dinner. i made the mistake of not checking my pasta supply before starting this dish (i just assumed we had enough farfalle left over from the last time). however, we had just enough farfalle and just enough spaghetti to combine the two and make it one crazy mixed up mess. but a delicious mess!
far-sghetti (?) with roasted pumpkin & sweet potato
check out our super classy candlesticks! they were purchased yesterday to hold our new natural beeswax candles, a christmas gift from b. thanks b!
also check out the different plates. mine is in the background and also features a huuuuuge serving of kale chips (simply a bunch of fresh kale ripped up and thrown in the oven for 7 minutes or so with some olive oil and oak smoked salt). i’m on a serious health kick at the moment – the holidays were not kind.
- 1 sweet potato
- 1 small pumpkin or squash
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large sprig fresh rosemary, chopped (plus 1 for garnishing)
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tbsp mild goat’s cheese, diced
- 1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
- a lil’ bit of farfalle, a lil’ bit of spelt spaghetti…. whatever pasta you have
- preheat the oven to gas mark 7 (425 F). as the oven heats up, prepare your veggies. peel and dice your sweet potato and squash or pumpkin (making sure to scoop out the seeds first!). chop up your onion and garlic too. toss the squash/pumpkin, sweet potato, onion, and garlic with the olive oil, rosemary, and some salt and pepper in a roasting tin. place in the oven and bake for 25-30 minutes.
- meanwhile, toast your pine nuts in a small dry frying pan and prepare your pasta pot. when the oven stuff is almost done, cook up your pasta according to its instructions.
- drain the pasta and mix in with the veggies and pine nuts. add the goat’s cheese as well, season, and serve with a sprig of rosemary.
lesson learned: comfort food deluxe!! but if you’re like me and can’t stand mushy smushy textures without some crunch (and/or green things), then add the kale chips on the side. YUM.