sweet and spicyPosted: January 25, 2010
i feel like i’m always on the hunt for different salmon recipes – we tend to like that fish around here. and while a simple recipe is very nice, sometimes you need a little variety and spice. that’s why i’m really excited about the recipe i used in last night’s meal. it is based on a bbc good food magazine recipe, but with a few tweaks.
i also paired it with some nicely steamed green beans and a sweet and crunchy pile of pumpkin spice roasted chickpeas – seriously these things are amazing. phil mentioned that they taste sort of like cereal – like you should eat them in a bowl with milk. might have to give that a go (almond milk of course).
grilled salmon with sweet chili glaze
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and chopped
- 1 small onion, cut into thick slices
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and chopped
- 2 tbsp soft brown sugar
- 2 tbsp cider vinegar
- 2 salmon fillets
- juice of 1/2 lime, other 1/2 cut into wedges for serving
- fresh coriander, to serve
- place the garlic, onion, chili, brown sugar, vinegar, and some salt and pepper in a blender or food processor. whizz to a smooth sauce.
- heat a grill or griddle pan. brush each salmon fillet liberally with the sauce and save any remaining. grill for 8 mins. serve the fish with extra chilli sauce and lime wedges for squeezing over. sprinkle with coriander, and serve with green beans or rice and a salad.
lesson learned: i thought this salmon was great with the pumpkin spice roasted chickpeas and green beans, but those who don’t care for spicy stuff should probably pair it with something bland – rice or lentils?