healthy fish n chips, take twoPosted: May 1, 2010
we’ve gone the healthy fish n chips route before – with distinct flavoring on both the sweet potatoes and the fish (fennel). but this time, it was a bit more freeform, a bit special, and a lot tasty. the pesto isn’t so much a spread as a mash of pesto-like flavors. combine that with the sweetness of the potatoes (and a hint of spicy heat) and the subtle crunch of the kale, and you’ve got a supremely healthy dinner.
obviously this is naturally gluten-free, dairy-free, egg-free, soy-free, etc etc etc. i don’t usually mention gluten here, because i’m not actually intolerant to it myself. but i know that many many people are, including my own mother, so i thought i’d just point that out here. i do try and keep my wheat intake to a minimum (hence the “wheat-free” tag you can find on the right of the page) – so i’ll use spelt instead of regular flour whenever possible. but gluten seems to do me no harm. go figure.
hope everyone enjoys their may day (and bank holiday weekend for the british folks) and has some tasty springtime food!
sweet potato fries and homemade pesto salmon
- 2 fillets salmon
- 3 small sweet potatoes
- handful fresh basil, finely chopped
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- salt and pepper
- olive oil
- wash and chop the sweet potato fries, keeping skins on. mix together 3 tbsp olive oil with nutmeg and cayenne pepper and coat the potatoes. put in the oven at gas mark 6 / 400F for half an hour.
- prepare the marinade for the salmon. combine the lemon juice, basil, garlic, and seasoning with a pestle and mortar. coat the raw salmon with the mixture in a pan and let sit for 5-10 minutes.
- shallow fry the salmon, skin side down in some olive oil, for 15 minutes on a low heat. flip salmon over, pesto side down, for 2-3 minutes to finish off.
- serve the salmon and sweet potato fries with some kale. to crisp it up, simply add some torn kale leaves to the sweet potatoes in the oven when they are almost finished and turn up the heat a few notches for about 5 minutes.