Graham CrackersPosted: July 3, 2010
It’s early July, the sun is shining, and my Mom is in London. All is right with the world! She’s visiting for a week and we’ve got a LOT of ground to cover. But the first big activity is a 4th of July BBQ party we’re having tomorrow. Now, it may seem a little bit weird to have a 4th of July party in ENGLAND, but… I know we’re not the only ones in town who celebrate. And really, it’s not like we’re burning the union jack in the back yard. We just needed another excuse for a BBQ – and an excuse to have s’mores.
English readers may not know what a s’more is. Allow me to explain. S’mores are a beloved American summertime treat. They require 3 ingredients and a BBQ or campfire, and some skewers (or clean, long twigs if you’re really roughing it).
Buy yourself some large fluffy marshmallows. My Mom brought over a bag of Jet-Puffed, classic and full of sugar and air. Perfect for roasting. Pierce your marshmallow with the skewer or stick, and hold it over the fire. Here’s where the controversy begins – I prefer my marshmallow CHARRED to the point of blackness, because I like the contrast between a crispy exterior and a melty interior. Others like to constantly rotate the skewer so that it’s a nice even golden color on the outside. Take your pick.
Next, prepare your little sandwich. Two halves of a graham cracker – a uniquely American biscuit, when broken in half, form two perfect little squares. Each half will represent the “bread” in this sandwich. Place a bit of Hershey’s chocolate on one cracker, and using the other half, squeeze the roasted marshmallow off the skewer and into your sweet sarnie. DEVOUR.
For anyone with food allergies/intolerances, this tasty treat isn’t best enjoyed – full of gluten, dairy, soy, etc etc. Luckily, my amazing mother has come up with a fabulous gluten-free graham cracker recipe that she made and brought over (6,000 miles to be exact) on the plane just for our party on Sunday! You’ll find her recipe below, as well as a photo of our ingredients. Standard jet-puffed marshmallows, the special graham crackers, and of course only the best Lindt dark chocolate!
Particular Momma’s Gluten-Free Graham Crackers
Makes approx. 20 crackers
- 2 1/4 cups gluten free flour (she used Bob’s Red Mill all-purpose gluten free baking flour, in the UK you could use Dove’s Farm brand)
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 3/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 7 tbsp margarine, cut into pieces (right out of the fridge)
- 3 tbsp cold water
- 3 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp vanilla
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, xanthan gum and salt.
- Cut in margarine using a pastry cutter or two knives until it resembles cornmeal. Stir in water, honey and vanilla. Dough should form a ball. If not, add a bit more cold water.
- Preheat oven to 325 F. Cover 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper. (You can use it to roll out the dough)
- Gather dough into ball and divide in half. Roll each half into a rectangle between 2 sheets of parchment paper until thin (1/8″ thick or less). Peel top piece of paper, and place on parchment on cookie sheet.
- Score dough with a pizza cutter or knife, and prick all over with a fork. Very lightly sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown and starting to harden. Let cool 10 mins. If not fully crisp, put back in turned-off oven until crisp!
- Now, go make some s’mores!!