grilling lightlyPosted: July 14, 2010
phil and i were all prepared to barbecue last night. we had a brand new bag of charcoal, a (semi)clean barbecue from the 4th of july, and a whole slew of vegetables. but then the rains came. oh the rains. and it was COLD. an evening straight from a textbook about the british summertime. so, instead we decided to cook indoors, using a griddle pan and the oven grill.
there’s always a way!
that being said, this is a very summery and light meal, and would probably be best enjoyed outdoors by the glow of the bbq. prepare the dressing and yogurt sauce ahead of time (with goats yogurt of course) warm up some pita bread under the grill, and relax with dinner.
grilled veggies with honey dressing and spicy yogurt
- 1 red pepper, cored and cut into strips
- 1 aubergine, cut into thick slices
- 2 courgettes, cut into diagonal slices
- 1 tbsp pine nuts, toasted
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 wholemeal pitta breads
- 100g plain goats yogurt (or plain yogurt of your choice)
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 tsp harissa paste (or 1 tsp cayenne pepper)
- while the grill or griddle pan heats up, combine the honey, olive oil, and cumin seeds. toss the chopped vegetables with the honey dressing in a bowl and then transfer to the heated grill or pan. keep a high heat going and flip as needed.
- meanwhile, prepare the yogurt sauce by mixing the yogurt, lemon juice, and harissa or cayenne.
- once the vegetables are done, toss them with the toasted pine nuts. place the pitta breads on the grill to heat and crisp up a little bit before serving everything together.