summer salmon saladPosted: July 1, 2010
the heat continues and so does my appreciation of light dinners. last night’s meal was easy breezy and was thrown together on the fly. i knew i wanted to use the fennel and asparagus i bought at the farmer’s market on saturday, it was just a case of finding what else i could put with it.
we had a couple of salmon fillets in the freezer, so i thawed them out during the day. the rest was just stuff i already had around the house. like i said, easy breezy.
i hope everyone enjoys their weekend – i’ll have a few recipes for you in a couple of days all to do with the 4th of july bbq we’re having on sunday. one of the recipes is from my mom – exciting! the other is a vegan dessert i am going to be making today. fingers crossed…
summer salad with spinach, fennel, and olive
enough for 2-3 people; we served with simple roasted salmon and asparagus
- 2-3 handfuls baby spinach leaves, washed and dried
- 1 fennel bulb, trimmed and grated (save the fronds)
- 3/4 cup black olives, pitted and halved
- juice of 1 orange
- first, prepare the dressing. combine the orange juice with 2 tbsp olive oil, the fennel fronds, and some salt and pepper. whisk with a fork in a small dish.
- combine the remaining ingredients in a bowl and toss with the dressing. serve with a simply roasted piece of salmon (or other fish) – we cooked ours in a medium oven with a little bit of the dressing, then added some asparagus to the roasting dish halfway through.