There is an absolutely AWESOME new website in our midst, chock full of recipes that are both vegan AND gluten-free. It’s called xgfx and is brought to you by three supercool vegan foodie girls. A lot of the recipes are soy-free as well, which is great news for anyone with a soy sensitivity.
And this is where I found the following recipe, which I tweaked a little – still, the original is completely delicious, and is perfect to make at the beginning of what looks to be a long hot summer! For any dairy-free and soy-free folks, this ice cream is a savior – not to mention the fact that it contains no refined sugar – just lots of naturally sweet dates.
Make sure you use full-fat coconut milk which gives you a nice creamy ice cream – although it will still be the consistency of shaved ice or sorbet (due to the lack of custard) so you may want to take it out of the freezer to thaw a little about a half hour before serving.
Coconut Milk Ice Cream with Dates
Based on a recipe from xgfx; requires an ice cream maker
- 1 cup pitted dates, soaked for an hour
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 can full fat coconut milk, stirred
- 2 tsp vanilla powder
- In a blender, combine the dates (and their water) with the coconut milk and vanilla. Blend until smooth.
- Transfer this mixture into a container and place in the fridge overnight. You may strain the mixture if you’d like a smoother consistency.
- The next day, add the cold mixture to the ice cream maker. Churn according to the machine’s instructions (it took about 30 minutes for me).
- Enjoy straight away or transfer to the freezer to keep for up to 3 months. Thaw for 30 minutes at room temperature just before serving.