First Birthday CookiesPosted: April 26, 2014
Since having Finn in July, I’ve gotten to know many other new mamas in the past year. And all of a sudden, those babies are turning ONE! It’s hard to believe how quickly a first year goes by (and yet, how very slow it feels in the moment). I’m attending my first FIRST birthday party this weekend and decided to bring along these delectable cookies in celebration of my dear friend’s baby girl. The recipe comes from the LEON Baking & Desserts cookbook, one of my personal faves from England, along with the other Leon cookbooks available. All are terrific.
These cookies are gluten-free, egg-free, and contain no processed sugars. Plenty of butter though, which gives them the perfect gooey cookie middle.
Make these if you feel like celebrating along with me!
- 2¼ cups gluten-free oat flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 cup maple syrup
- ½ cup organic unsalted butter, melted
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- Sea salt for sprinkling (optional)
- Heat the oven to 350F. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Mix together all the dry ingredients in a medium bowl (including the chocolate chips).
- Mix together all the wet ingredients in a small bowl.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, and stir until they are well combined, but do not over-mix.
- Drop spoonfuls of the cookie dough on to the prepared baking tray. Lightly sprinkle with sea salt if desired.
- Bake in the oven for 12 minutes, and allow the cookies to cool on the tray for 1 minute before transferring to a cooling rack.